Boy, they just keep making cool gadgets that I feel compelled to by. Given the incident, I have found myself without a PDA for at least a fortnight, a situation which I do not enjoy. Now, mind you I have more often than not been in this very situation but I find that I am actually moderately more productive with a small peice of technology telling me what to do and where to do it.
I also like to foster convergence in all things that I do. I was one of the first people to own a Sidekick, and I liked the hell out of it, however it couldn't sync with my desktop, and that made me sad.
My Tungsten C was great, it had WiFi, it synced (sanc?) with my Outlook account at work. The only draw backs were that I couldn't actually check my Exchange account on it without spending money for some 3rd party products, and it wasn't a phone. Plus, I broke it.
Now I am thinking about getting either whatever Palmone introduces after the Treo 600, or the newly announced HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6315.
Let's list the pros and cons of each.
First the Treo 6xx (remember this is a fictional device, I am not considering the Treo 600, which is available now):
- Uses the uncluttered Palm OS
- Great Design
- I am familiar with Palm products
- Software for the Mac
- Not run by Microsoft software
- Good size that packs a punch
- Integrated Keyboard
- Doesn't sync with Exchange natively
- Doesn't Exist yet
- Might not have Bluetooth and WiFi
- No free terminal client for Windows Machines
OK, and now the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6315:
- It exists, or will on Aug. 26th
- Complete Exchange Intergration
- Bluetooth, WiFi, and GSM/GPRS, this thing is connected (and it can be connected to all three at the same time)
- Terminal Client
- Give me a chance to learn the Pocket PC
- User Replaceable Battery
- Has a little camera for taking pictures of random crap
- Microsoft® Windows® Mobile™ 2003 for Pocket PC - Phone Edition
- Looks a little bulky
- No Mac software
It is a tough choice. I am going to wait until I see the HP in person before I decide, and by that time PalmOne may announce a new Treo that will have me drooling more than the HP iPAQ Pocket PC h6315 has.